Thursday, August 13, 2015

Work




Work. My work ethic is something I have always taken great pride in. Growing up my father always made work his priority. My grandfather, the patriarch of our family worked tirelessly from job to job to support a family of five. He knew all too well the hard work and dedication it took to be able to support such a family.



My father felt the same. He knew that he wanted a better life for us then he had had and never wanted us to struggle or feel less than anyone. He worked full-time as a teacher but would paint during the summers and had begun his yoga business. He never complained or made it seem like it was too much. I think having three children he could see the benefits of his work. He sacrificed his time to ensure that we all had a good life growing up and that my mom was able to stay at home with us.



I started working when I was 13. I would babysit every weekend and even though it wasn't much, I took great pride in the work that I was doing and that I was able to be financially independent.



The following year I worked the summer at the softball field concession stand. The customer interaction was something I lived for. I would greet the customers as if they were old friends. The softball fields are not only a great past time for me but i could honestly say I was happy. I worked hard that summer and made good money. I realized then that my work ethic was something I could learn to be proud of.

The years that followed I took up various restaurant jobs. I learned a great deal from my managers and owners and found that the ones that really pushed me, though frustrating, I had a great deal of respect for them. They all saw something inside of me that I was unable to see for a long time. They pushed me because they knew my limits and without them I would continue to see only my limitations.



Growing up I knew that, like my father, I wanted to have a business of my own. I knew that it would take a lot of time and hard work but I was up for the challenge.

It wasn't until 2013 that my lifelong dream became a reality. I opened my first business.

Because of my perseverance and dedication ::
I am proud.
I am happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment