Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Promise






My mother had always said "be a woman of your word". She simply wanted us to make promises and keep them. She never couldve anticipated the depth that simple sentence could have. It had never been a difficult task following through on promises with others but the older I got, the more I found it difficult to keep promises with myself.



I put others first on many occasions forgetting that a promise to myself should be of utmost importance. Why was it so difficult to make a promise to myself without being quick to break it?



The more I learned about myself the more I struggled with "treat others how you would want them to treat you" and "be a woman of your word". I had always thought that these two phrases had opposite meanings but in reality they couldn't be more parallel. I had to learn how I wanted to be treated first to decide how I would treat others. I had to keep promises to myself before I could keep promises with others.

At first, this felt selfish but for so long I had disregarded my own wants and needs to fulfill the needs and wants of others. I had broken promises to myself. Many Many Times.

Throughout this journey of life I am learning to be a "woman of my word" especially with myself but also with others around me. Life isn't about the destination, its about the journey.

Being a woman of my word, I feel:
Happy.
Proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment