My brothers had always excelled with education and I had accepted that I could never and would never be as smart as them. I thought that since it didn't come naturally that my talents must be elsewhere.
I was a social butterfly most of my high school career until my senior year when a series of events left me friendless, hopeless and lonely. My social circle was something I had clung to so long and it had now crumbled so quickly in front of me. If I didn't have brains and now didn't have friends, what could my talent be ? This was a real struggle for me because I didn't know how I would discover my purpose, my reason for living.
I remember eating lunch on the bathroom floor every day. It had become such a routine for me that I would grab my lunch and head that direction. It became a comfort for me. I reminded myself daily that God had a plan and that this too would pass.
It wasn't until college that I realized that I was smarter than I gave myself credit for. Yes I had to work very hard because it was not something that came naturally but the challenge was exciting. I quickly saw the benefits of hard work and perseverance. I had previously assumed that because it was not natural like it had been for my brothers that it just wasn't meant to be. The same talent that were in them was in me as well I just had to work harder to accomplish the same.
After graduating I knew that the possibilities were endless. After receiving my bachelors degree, the educational drive was still very much inside of me. I decided to go on and get my masters in English. I continuously surprised myself with the motivation I had had with something I had previously disregarded and disliked. Education and learning had now become a focus in my life.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and because of that life lesson::
I am happy.
I am proud.

No comments:
Post a Comment